Monday, September 29, 2014

Laughing all the way to the bank (not really - it was an EFT)



I'm a paid author! 





It only took several months because of the way Amazon pays their royalties, but it's finally here! Okay, so maybe it's just enough to cover my initial publishing expenses like cover art, ink and reams (and reams and reams) of paper -- yes even in this digital age I still have to print out everything I write.

All this time Amazon told me my first check was going to be a paper check and I had it in my head that I was going to frame the damn thing. I didn't even care that I wouldn't get to deposit the money in my account, I wanted to keep that first check forever and ever. Put it in my scrapbook along with the first reviews of my book. But, then they went and changed the rules on me and put it through as an Electronic Funds Transfer directly into my account.

What?!? 

Do they not understand what a monumental occasion this is? I mean, holding my first royalty check in my hand would be akin to holding my first copy of my first published paperback. I may have even hugged the UPS guy who brought me that first box of books. I was fully prepared to give the same attention to my mail lady. But, noooooo.

I've been writing my novels for a little less than a year and I've now published two of them. Every day I see the sales go up and down and up and down and I obsessively track my rankings, my reviews and my competition . . . all while making the daily walk out to my mailbox to see if I have received that highly-anticipated window envelope that we all now recognize as payola.

Sigh! 

I now realize that moment will never happen. I just wish Amazon would have prepared me for it. Maybe set up a twelve-step program or something.


No comments:

Post a Comment