Thursday, October 2, 2014

Writing a book vs. birthing a baby

I wrote this the day I finished my Abstract Love manuscript.

I used to think that writing the first sentence of a book was that moment that one would remember forever. But since I've become a writer myself, I now know that it's the last sentence that ranks right up there, just below the day I got married and the birth of my children. Because that is what completing a book feels like, the birth of a child (on a smaller scale, of course, and usually weighing in at less than a pound). 
That last sentence is what you think about, dream about and obsess over for months and months. It is what drives you to write, what fuels your thoughts and what embodies your dreams. It is such a high. But at the same time, it's bittersweet because now I know the ending. 
At 3:30 today, I wrote the last sentence of my second novel. Fueled by the emotions of a near-tragedy in my own family today, I believe I was able to put those feelings back into my writing and hopefully, I came up with an ending that will make my readers feel that wonderful connection to the characters that writers hope they can convey. I've decided that I could care less if I sell books, I love writing and will continue to do it until someone takes the pen (or keyboard and mouse) out of my cold, dead hands.


     
Me with my youngest baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment