Sunday, September 18, 2016

To trigger warn or not?

A lot of stuff is going around lately about so-called 'trigger warnings.'

If you don't know what a trigger warning is, it is something authors may post on their book information page that will advise potential readers of sensitive material contained in a book. This could be anything from cheating to rape.

As an author, my stance is to not provide trigger warnings. Most of my books have a notation that state they contain adult material.

Let me tell you why I'm against trigger warnings. The plain and simple fact is that in most of my books, the trigger warning will spoil the plot. And for the 99.9% of readers who don't want to know the plot, this will ruin their experience.

My advice to readers is this: if you have a major issue with something, whether it be divorce, cheating, rape, molestation, cancer, death, adoption, abortion, guys that wear blue shirts, women who bake...., please either ask a friend or email the author. We would be happy to tell you individually anything about our books.

For the record, here is one blanket trigger warning: my books may (and do) contain sensitive subject matter. If you do not want to read books that deal with real-life situations or deeply emotional issues, you may want to pass mine on by.

I'm always happy to discuss my books with readers. So please e-mail or message me on Facebook if you have any questions. I certainly don't want anyone getting upset over a book I wrote. My books are for entertainment purposes only. And I hope to keep entertaining you all for many years to come.

Happy reading!!

3 comments:

  1. Can you get the Stone book box set in paper back? I don't have a kindle so I need paper back. Thank you Cheyanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg i love your books i have read all the series and i can't wait for the next one. I also love that your books are audible. You're amazing. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed reading your books( the Stone brothers and Men on fire). Looking forward to reading more. 🤗

    ReplyDelete